Thursday, May 16, 2013

David Beckham announces retirement from football


David Beckham is retiring from football.
The former England captain, who in January signed a deal with Paris St Germain, has opted against extending his contract with the French club and will instead hang up his boots.
In a statement he said: "I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level."
He added: "If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over one hundred times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realised those dreams."
It brings an end to a career quite unlike any other. The 38-year-old made his debut for Manchester United in 1992 before going on to play for Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and PSG - winning the league title with all of them and becoming the first Englishman to win the league in four different countries. The Leytonstone born footballer also featured for Italian side AC Milan on two separate loan spells.

He will now work as a sports ambassador. 

No comments: